Another chickpea-based recipe? I know, I know, but trust me, chickpeas never get old! Their mild flavour makes it so easy to work with.
Onto another main ingredient in this recipe: celery!
Apparently a stalk of celery is actually the whole head of celery you get at the grocery store while a rib is one section that you break off. I have been using the wrong vocabulary all my life, but I think everybody has so we’re even! Make easy soup for dinner tonight! Toast some bread with you’re at it.
Chickpea Vegetable Soup
- 3 cups chickpea, cooked
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2-4 stalks of celery
- 1 can vegetable stock (2 cups)
- 1 cup water
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 can tomato paste (I had a 6 oz can in the cupboard)
- 1 Tbs McCormick Italian blend
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash Original Seasoning
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- green onion for garnish, optional
- Wash and cut your carrots first since they take the longest to cook
- Dump carrots into the pot, add the broth and water, bring to a boil on high heat, then lower to medium
- While that’s cooking, prep the other vegetables and toss them in
- Add the herbs/spices and tomato paste next, remember to stir your soup!
- Mash the chickpeas with a pastry blender and stir it into the soup, this helps give the soup some texture and heartiness (if you want a more watery soup you can skip the mashing part and just put in the chickpeas)
- Taste your soup, add in more herbs/spices/salt if desired
- Ladle the deliciousness into a bowl! I love pairing this soup with some bread.